Toronto, ON – A few years back my son came home from a weekend mountain bike race. That night he complained of soreness in his foot but figured it was from the race. By Tuesday morning his foot had swelled up and he couldn’t stand on it. I told him to call Telehealth.
The nurse on the phone advised him to go immediately to ER. Once at ER the nurses and doctors took him right in and diagnosed that a small cut from a few weeks back had become infected and he now had blood poisoning. They quickly got him on antibiotics and we had to go back for similar treatments every morning for the rest of the week.
If we hadn’t been able to make that call, my son would have waited longer to go to the hospital and the infection could have gone further up his leg and the infection could have been a lot worse.