How does digital health support patients/caregivers to become more active participants in their health care?
- Remind/motivate to do daily self-management actions – including using a virtual health assistant
- Access to trusted online information to learn more about their health condition
- Self-monitor their health state, daily – use the info to better look after their health
- Send person’s health data to their provider, daily – Provider can use the info to refine person’s care plan or to intervene immediately
- Access to providers by e-mail/texting
- Online access to lab results, doctor notes
Share an experience where digital health had an impact, or could have had an impact, on you as a patient, caregiver or family member.
- My brother and I were family caregivers to our mother for 4 years until she passed away last October. We both lived far away. We are both electrical engineers
- We developed a Virtual Caregiver Assistant (VCA). The VCA is technology that acts like a human assistant. Every day, when my mother had a difficult action to do, such as motivating herself to take her pills, the VCA called her on her phone and spoke a verbal behavior influencing message. It helped her, and it gave us peace of mind
The theme of the 2016 Infoway Partnership Conference is “A Conversation About Digital Health”. How do you believe you can contribute to the conversation?
- As a remote family caregiver, I can discuss my experience in using various types of digital health products to help my mother live in her own home
- As a person with a significant health issue, I can discuss how I use digital health tools to be an empowered patient
- As a technology developer, I can discuss the innovative digital health products that we have developed, and our experience so far as we work with the health care system to create new types of health care services
How will you apply and share what you learn from Digital Health Week and the 2016 Infoway Partnership Conference?
- I am co-founder of the Digital Health Interest Group in Winnipeg. I will share what I learn with the group
- I am a member of the “Aging and Technology” group, of the Centre on Aging at the U of Manitoba. I will share what I learn with the group
- I will apply what I learn towards developing new digital health products
- I will apply and share what I learn as I promote my company’s digital health products to health care organizations and support organizations in Manitoba